Aims & Scope
SUVANNABHUMI is an international, peer-reviewed journal committed to the publication of scholarship in Southeast Asian Studies. It aims to offer a scholarly platform for original works drawn from research findings, theoretical thought, reflection, and/or reinterpretation of long-held viewpoints, ideas, or methodologies. The scope covers in particular, but not exclusively, the following fields of discussion: cultural studies, the arts, language and linguistics, history, archaeology and prehistory, anthropology, sociology, religion, literature, tourism, socio-economic issues, and politics.
It is published biannually on the last day(30th or 31st) of June and December(in January and July from 2019 onwards). In addition to regular Issues, SUVANNABHUMI also publishes Special Issues focusing on particular themes or regions.
Open Access Policy
SUVANNABHUMI is an open access journal. The contents of this Journal will be available in open access formats (PDF). Users are allowed to download, distribute, print, or link to the full texts of the articles in this Journal without asking prior permission from the Publisher or the Author(s). This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative(BOAI)
definition of open access.
There is no submission charge or Article Processing Charge (APC).
All submitted manuscripts will initially undergo a “Desk Review” process, a preliminary editor screening, to determine relevance in light of the Journal’s aims and scope, appeal to an international audience, and conformity to the house style of this Journal.
Manuscripts evaluated as “potentially relevant” will go through a “Double-Blind Peer Review” process, typically by a minimum of two to a maximum of three reviewers.
The peer-review process may be lengthy. In cases where it takes time, contributors would be updated on developments. For instance, if the manuscript requires more than two peer reviewers, or if its sensitive issues need careful discernment, among others.
If the manuscript is recommended for revision and resubmission, it will normally be reviewed by the same reviewers. However, there is no guarantee that the revised manuscript will be accepted. Submissions recommended for revision and resubmission may only be resubmitted once.
Declined manuscripts will not be re-reviewed by this Journal. Book reviews and research reports are not peer reviewed.
Each submitted manuscript is reviewed based on the qualitative criteria below:
- To what extent does the manuscript contribute towards the extension of knowledge in any particular area of Southeast Asian studies?
- If the manuscript is theoretical or exploratory, is the literature cited up-to-date and relevant?
- If the manuscript is empirical, how well designed, executed, and analyzed is the research?
- If the manuscript is practitioner/policy orientated, is it useful and widely applicable?
- Is the manuscript logically constructed, clearly written and suitably referenced?
- Are the conclusions sufficiently derived from the analysis?
- Does this manuscript conform to the Text and Manuscript Guidelines of SUVANNABHUMI?
Overall, the Peer Reviewers will make any of the following decisions:
- With minor editorial or technical amendments.
- Subject to revision specified by the Peer Reviewers to improve the manuscript for publication suitability.
- Only subject to substantial changes being made by the Author(s) before the manuscript can be re-considered and without any guarantee or undertaking as to its future acceptance. Peer Reviewers should explain the suggested changes in detail.
- It should be rejected for the reasons given by the Peer Reviewers’.
As a matter of sole discretion, the Editor will make the final decision about the manuscript in light of the Peer Reviews.
The Author(s) will be asked to sign a “Copyright Transfer Form & Warranties”.
In signing the Agreement, it is assumed that the Author(s) grants KIAS/BUFS (Korea Institute for ASEAN Studies, Busan University of Foreign Studies), as the exclusive Publisher of the Contribution, with the rights, conditions, and terms as detailed in the Agreement.
The Agreement will ensure the widest possible dissemination of information. The Author(s) must agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the Agreement and return the Agreement (in PDF format) to KIAS/BUFS (firstname.lastname@example.org
). Manuscripts cannot be published until a signed form has been received.
Download “Copyright Transfer Form & Warranties”
The Editors of SUVANNABHUMI and the Publisher make every effort to ensure the accuracy of all the information (the "Content") contained in our publications. However, Editors of SUVANNABHUMI and the Publisher make no representations or warranties whatsoever as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability for any purpose of the Content. Any opinions and views expressed in this publication are solely the opinions and views of the Author(s), and are not the views of or endorsed by Editors of SUVANNABHUMI and the Publisher. The accuracy of the Content should not be relied upon and should be independently verified with primary sources of information. The Editors of SUVANNABHUMI and the Publisher shall not be liable for any claims arising from the use of the Content.
Download “Editorial Policy”(full text)